Approach life gently. Treat life kindly. Live life fully and with enthusiasm.
Respect life--always.


Thursday, October 6, 2011

RV COOKING 101: Sweet and Sour Meatballs


I made meatballs last week and froze them, planning ahead for once. I chose to make them from ground turkey, using a simple meatloaf recipe. After forming them into balls, I individually froze them on a cookie sheet before placing them in a Ziploc bag. You could also choose to buy already prepared and frozen meatballs.

After thawing the meatballs today, I rolled them in flour (I used rice flour since I have to choose gluten free). Then I placed them in a hot skillet with a little oil. To the pan, I added one cup sliced carrots and one sliced red bell pepper. After the meatballs were browned on all sides, I added one cup of pineapple tidbits plus some of the juice, a cup of chicken broth (left over from making the tomato soup), a cup of the tomato puree (set aside before making the tomato soup), and half a cup of my favorite BBQ sauce. Simmer until most of the liquid is evaporated. Serve over rice, and another easy dinner is served.

With the leftover rice and pineapple tidbits, I made a tasty after dinner treat. I also added the rest of the can of evaporated milk from when I made the tomato soup, some fresh blackberries we picked up the other day, and agave nectar; and a simple dessert was born.

A friend joined us for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment