Approach life gently. Treat life kindly. Live life fully and with enthusiasm.
Respect life--always.


Friday, October 28, 2011

Collage Foods

 

DSCN1274Have you ever been treated like a long-lost, beloved friend upon first meeting? Have you ever sat down for a meal in a new restaurant and felt like part of the family? Have you ever felt like such a welcome part of the unique collection of patrons in that restaurant, that a conversation at one table easily carries over to the next? Laughter is shared as if we were all long-time friends. Laughter, the unifying bond between this group of hungry souls. Kismet is the only word I can think of right now to describe it all.

We had such an experience this evening at a new restaurant in Lincoln City, Oregon. Yesterday when we were out antique shopping, we just happened upon Colleen, the proprietor and chef of Collage Foods, when we entered in the wrong door, in search of a cup of coffee. Before directing us to the Cyber Garden Café next door, we had a wonderful conversation about the fresh, organic produce she was preparing for the weekend’s menu. It was, as I said, like we had run into an old friend. So we promised to return the next night for dinner, as her restaurant is only open on Friday and Saturday evenings.

DSCN1270It was even so homey that we did an art project at our table while waiting for our dinner. Ken and I jointly made a collage of the ocean. The shark infested waters were his doing.

I must enter a bit of a warning to die-hard meat eaters. This is a vegetarian restaurant. Even so, my guy was willing to forego his steak to please me. I so wanted to try the pumpkin au-gratin Colleen was preparing—and it was well worth it. Ken had a stir fry with wild and brown rice, which was also delightful. He did comment, though, that it might have been better with scallops. That would have been too much for me, because I thought it was perfect just the way it was.

I must also say, however, that my guys, both my hubby and my son, are known to indulge my forays into vegetarianism, as I try to have at least one meatless meal per week. I had to quit using tofu for a while because it is my son’s absolute worst nightmare. But if I really want to gross him out, all I have to do is cut up some dry pack tofu and begin nibbling, without marinating or cooking or anything. Yum! (Yes, I know I am weird.)

If you visit Collage Foods, I am sure you will have a similar experience. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is Colleen of collage. My husband just stumbled upon your blog today. How delightful to see a picture with the truck in front, and revisit your experience. Collage is now open Fri - Mon, lunch & dinner. Hope to see you next time you're near. I also loved your post on dreams, am a devotee of dreamwork.

    ReplyDelete