Approach life gently. Treat life kindly. Live life fully and with enthusiasm.
Respect life--always.


Friday, September 9, 2011

30 Things

Invisible Illness Week
30 things about my invisible illness you may not know


1. The illness I live with is: Lyme disease
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2009
3. But I had symptoms since: early childhood
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: letting others help me
5. Most people assume: I am fat and lazy
6. The hardest part about mornings are: getting my brain fog to clear
7. My favorite medical TV show is: House
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: my Kitchenaid mixer
9. The hardest part about nights are: finding a comfortable enough position to fall asleep--and stay asleep
10. Each day I take __ pills & vitamins. (No comments, please) at least 50
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: research, research, research, then ask my naturopath
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: not to be ill at all.
Actually I am very glad I am not in a wheelchair or not dragging around an oxygen bottle.
13. Regarding working and career: that’s on hold until I am well enough to try again, then I will return to school for a degree in religious studies
14. People would be surprised to know: how much fun I can be when I let my guard down
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: not being able to do all the things I used to do
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: find the courage to share my writing with others and find the courage to speak up for myself
17. The commercials about my illness: what commercials? Lyme is an “unacceptable illness” to most of the medical community
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: working and having a paycheck
19. It was really hard to have to give up: my birth family, who refused to accept my diagnosis
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: painting
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: go on a long hike in the mountains
22. My illness has taught me: not to give up so easily
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: about brain fog and confusion: “yeah, I hate it when I misplace my keys too.”
24. But I love it when people: say they have a chronically ill person in their family and I can see the true compassion on their faces and in their actions
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: this is the day the Lord has made, we shall be glad and rejoice in it.
26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: more important than any pill they will take or treatment they seek, is hope.
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: there are a lot of us out there
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: brought dinner over for my husband and son
29. I’m involved with
Invisible Illness Week because: awareness is very important. If one person is changed by being aware their neighbor is ill, peace and compassion shall reign, on their street at least.
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: valued as a friend, neighbor, sister

No comments:

Post a Comment